Monday, October 31, 2016

I forgot how much I love reading

I haven't read a book outside of class, like really sat down and gotten involved, been so excited about the next chapter I can't focus in school kind of read, in about a year and a half. The last book I read cover to cover was either Turtle Diary by Russell Hoban, By Night In Chile by Roberto BolaƱo, or Book of Monelle by Marcel Schwob. These all came with each other, in a cloudy space between spring and summer of sophomore year. Since then, I've built a teetering, fragile pile of books I need to read: Geek Love, Kafka on the Shore, Riddley Walker, and so many more. I hate looking at this mound, sending guilt up my spine, knowing I'm not going to read most of the novels any time soon, so every once in a while I'll start one of them offhandedly. I know the names of at least some characters of Geek Love, the first half of the plot of Lolita, the general concept behind Feathers by Raymond Carver, yet I never manage to seriously pursue the stories.

I watch a lot of TV online, I read a lot of articles, I read a lot of zines, I read a lot of poetry, but there is nothing, in my opinion, as gripping and manipulative as novels. In a lot of ways, I sort of expected myself to grow away from novels, fiction in general, by now. Neither of my parents read much fiction; my mother reads philosophy and my father reads articles. I started Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin this week, and it threw me violently back into literature. There's something electrifying about reading after a long, long break, moreso than slamming through book after book, in the same way that a fresh crush feels all the more heavenly after a breakup. I'm sure you can relate, but it's intoxicating when you can't stop thinking about something, person or book.

Fiction will never cease to enchant me. There is so much complexity and potential in prose and I find that incredibly captivating. The first time I sat down to start Giovanni's Room, I only got about one chapter in. It was late, right before bed, and I was reading out of some constructed guilt without my gut really being in it; but coming back with a desire to get back into fiction made so much of a difference; now, I've read almost half the book in a single sitting, and only stopped myself because college applications were looming over my head.

I'm not sure if I have a point with this blog post, but it's so satisfying to have a story waiting for you to return, and to have that NOT be from TV or movies. I forgot how much I love to read!!

4 comments:

  1. I also love to read and wish that I had more time to read. I do still read a lot, but I wish that I had time to read all the books on my list, which is quite long. I agree that there is something about reading a novel that is captivating and having a story to think about and look forward to continuing is something that I love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clara, I totally know what you mean! It's been so long since I've really been into a book. I'm hoping to change that soon. Good blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember when I was in middle school I would sneak into the bathroom during my bed time to keep reading. But every since Subbie year, I longer feel that eagerness to read. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely know where you're coming from. I also have a love of reading, especially novels. However, I have some opposite guilt. I don't read because I know there are always other things I really should be doing. I watch my ten year old sister instead, reading approximately 4 hours a day, going through five books in a week and I wonder where my childhood went. I was that kid.

    ReplyDelete