Monday, October 17, 2016

Self care

Lately time's been rushing by way, way too quickly. Daily routine seems to make the days lurch by, yet it's already the end of the quarter and I find that to be unbelievable, if not daunting. In a limbo like this, it can be difficult to remember the importance of taking care of yourself.

I had no free time this weekend -- Saturday was a mix of hanging out, babysitting, and domestic responsibilities, Sunday a mess of homework and errands. Early Saturday morning I went out and walked underneath the clouds and murk, ate lengua tacos in dingy restaurants with my friends, drove to both Goodwill stores in Champaign County, babysat until it was dark enough to see the almost-full moon, and went to Target an hour before closing with my dear friend. We took the long way because I'm too scared to drive on the highway yet. By the end of the night I was so burnt out I needed time for myself -- it's that classic teenage angst, the kind where you don't want to be with anyone, don't want to go home, just want to be out in your own head. As a recently-licensed 17 year-old, there's something electrifying about night driving still and, however minor it might be, 5 minutes of extra cruising time was an act of self care in that instant.

On the way home from Chicago last week, my brother and I had a really meaningful conversation about our tendencies. My friend was asleep in the backseat, and for the first time in months, Simon and I got to talk for hours on our own. He drove. The darkness of the highway was hypnotic and lulling. We agreed that both of us act in really particular ways -- specifically, we tend to exist in an awkward space between hermit, socialite, and introvert. Neither of us will actively seek people out, but we love closeness with friends and emotional intimacy. We've always had one or two incredibly close friends each, and that's enough. He's in school for landscape architecture, and I'm currently trying to decide between sociology and NRES; he wants to live on his friend's farm after university, my dream job is currently either being a national park ranger or a florist. We've somehow paralleled each other in multiple ways, and I think that intense need for alone time (hermit-ness, really), is a manifestation of both of our self-care routines as well.

Being alone for long periods of time is, honestly, integral in my life, and senior year is making it difficult for me to work in meaningful personal time. Simon told me he loves living at home because he gets to spend his days biking around a town he already knows and drawing flowers in his room, and I couldn't help but want the same; self care is a constant in my brother's life and, though I know eventually this will all calm down, I miss it badly right now!

7 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you, Clara! Senior year has made it really hard to focus on self-care but hopefully after this semester, we'll be less stressed out. Good blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Clara, I get where you're coming from. Life is actually really crazy, like all the time. I'm always telling myself, I'm just really busy right now, but I'm always really busy right now and I do it to myself. In some ways I love it, but I have definitely found that 20 minutes of personal time means so much. (I read and pray at the beginning of every day) I hope you can find a way to fit some quiet time into your busy schedule too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cant speak on the senior year aspect, but I can associate with the feelings. I constantly yearn for that 30 minutes out alone with no responsibilities... Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Self-care is indeed incredibly important, and for me that involves a certain amount of solitude and quiet, which can be hard to come by when life is busy.

    I have a friend who's a forest ranger. He seems to really love it. Also, you don't want to own a florist, you want to be a florist and own a florist's shop :) If you become a florist, I hope you'll be an eco-friendly florist. I suspect the market for environmentally sustainable cut flowers is growing––conventionally grown flowers are particularly bad, environmentally, from what I understand.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Before this year, I wasn't as busy with schoolwork so I never really realized the importance of alone time because of how high the supply of it was. However this year is harder school-wise so I've learned to cherish the alone time much more. Love your writing you put it in really nice way that makes it relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate to this post more than I could say. I also need a lot of time to myself to maintain and feel comfortable with myself and I completely understand what you're saying. I know that it can get hard and very emotional if you don't get much-needed time to yourself but hopefully once college apps are done you can get a chance to relax and have some you time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always have struggles trying to get enough sleep each night. This is due to the amount of work I procrastinate, and/or my lack of self control. I'm constantly surrounded by technology and social media which can be pretty hectic. Maybe I should shut off my phone and relax by myself for a bit.
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete